2021 FALCon International High School Student Conference
Study Trips (2021)
FALCon Discussion Forum
STEM for SDGs Teacher Conference
All Japan High School Forum (20 Dec 2020)
～Building the Fujinokuni Advanced Learning Consortium (FALCon)
As one of the only ten schools designated a center school for WWL by the Education Ministry in 2019, we at Mishima Kita High School will play an active role in customizing and designing programs for FALCon.
FALCon is a network of educational and research institutions, business and non profit organizations, and the local government that have come together to develop and implement new learning projects for high school students in Shizuoka prefecture. Through these projects, we will help students become active and productive members of Society 5.0. Students will learn to be self-directed learners who have the knowledge, abilities and attitudes necessary to be innovative global citizens. Students will have the opportunity to attend a variety of higher educational programs that cater to their individual readiness, interests and learning profiles.
2. Key Projects by FALCon
(1) Fujinokuni Advanced Placement System
A new organization will be established specifically to manage this project in 2021.
Students will be able to attend courses at national and prefectural universities in Shizuoka and will be accredited by those universities.
(2) Fujinokuni Global Seminars
Students will have the opportunity to experience higher education, language programs and cutting-edge IoT and AI technology at overseas universities and enterprises.
(3) Curriculum Development
A new curriculum with new subjects will be developed to help students gain knowledge, abilities, proper attitude and value judgement through problem-solving. This will develop students into innovative global citizens.
(4) Spreading and Sharing
Seminars for teachers, poster-sessions by students and an international high school conference in 2021 will be organized to share the project outcomes and spread the ideas of FALCon.
- (1) Administration authority: Board of Education of Shizuoka Prefecture
- (2) Center school for the WWL Consortium: Mishima Kita Senior High School
(roles) Curriculum designing for an integrated humanities and science program and a problem-solving program, building on our experience and achievements as a Super Global High School from 2014 to 2018
- (3) Partner schools in Shizuoka prefecture: Shizuoka Senior High School, Numazu Higashi Senior High School, Shizuoka Municipal Senior High School
(roles) Curriculum designing for an integrated humanities and science program and for a problem-solving program, taking into consideration their respective school background, and by studying preceding implementation by the center school.
- (4) Partner schools outside Shizuoka prefecture: Miyagi Prefectural Sendai Nika Junior & Senior High School, Nagasaki Prefectural Nagasaki Higashi Senior High School
(roles) Conducting problem-solving activities together with the center school, based on their achievements as Super Global High Schools, and attending the international conference for high school students in 2021.
- (5) Partner schools overseas:
(Vietnam) Vin School, Chu Van An High School
(Singapore) River Valley High School, Jurong West Secondary School
(China) Zhejiang Provincial Hangzhou No.7 High School
(America) Minnesota Owatonna High School
We will be in discussion with existing overseas partners and exchange schools regarding attending the international high school conference with their researches on SDGs
- (6) Partner organizations: University department of Shizuoka prefecture, Regional department of Shizuoka prefecture, Shizuoka prefectural Shanghai office, Shizuoka prefectural government representative office registered in Singapore, Shizuoka Bank, Meidensha, Concerned enterprises of Shizuoka overseas internship program, JICA, JETRO
(roles) Organizing Fujinokuni global seminars
- (7) Partner organization: Fujinokuni Regional and University Consortium (Shizuoka University, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, University of Shizuoka, Shizuoka University of Art and Culture)
(roles) Building Fujinokuni Advanced Placement System
- (8) Partner higher education institutions overseas:
(Vietnam) Thuyloi University
(Singapore) Nanyang Polytechnic
(America) University of Minnesota
We will be in discussion with existing overseas partners and exchange schools regarding providing courses by experts to support problem solving activities and providing courses where students can learn in English.
4. As a Center School
(1) Common Theme: Multi-Dimensional Approach to SDGs
We create opportunities for students to explore the use of ICT, local and international collaboration, and STEM research to solve regional issues including disaster management and prevention, and population outflow.
(2) New Subject: Environmental Science
Students will have the opportunity to learn about environmental issues under a new Advanced Placement Program (AP). This program will be modeled on the AP in the US but will be modified to cater to the specific needs of our students and the Japanese education system. Units such as environment and resources, soil and water, energy resources and consumption, and environmental pollution will be taught in English. Those who have taken this subject can attend an overseas short program related to environmental STEM research at the University of Minnesota.
(3) Overseas Study Tours
1) Study tours in Vietnam
Applicants from the 1st graders will attend a study tour in Vietnam as their fieldwork for the Period for Integrated Studies.
2) School trip in Singapore
All the 2nd graders will visit Singapore for their school trip. Students will conduct their fieldwork for the Period for Integrated Studies during their stay.
Through both online and actual exchanges with partner schools, students will work on collaborative researches, to be ready for the international high school conference in 2021.